Wednesday, November 8, 2017

2017 SGAC Asteroid Search Campaign

There are a lot of Near Earth Asteroid (NEO) in space that is threatening to collide with Planet Earth and is threatening to drive our species into extinction. Because of this, astronomers have been working really hard to monitor a lot of potentially hazardous asteroids that have a chance of colliding with Earth. However, the NEO is just too many for astronomers to track and monitor considering that there are still a lot of unnamed and undiscovered asteroids in space. Because of this, astronomers have opened a program for people who don't have a degree in science to have the chance to participate in the things that they are doing such as looking and tracking of asteroids, through becoming citizen scientists.
I decided that this year 2017, I want to become a citizen scientist under the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC), which is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting astronomy and space law to the public, through their annual program which is the International Search Asteroid Campaign (ISAC). I am teamed with 3 other Filipino amateur astronomers namely, Rheanne Jimeno, Erika Valdueza, and Arvin Tan. For 4 weeks, we have to look for asteroids provided to us by data coming from the Pan-STARRS telescope, using a special computer software known as the Astrometrica. 
Eventually, if we would be able to discoverer an asteroid in space, it will be named after us.
At the end of this month-long journey, we were able to achieve a total of 26 preliminary asteroid discoveries. 
Looking back on this journey, I never thought that I would really make it this far. I remember those days wherein I am sleeping just an hour per day just to master the use of Astrometrica so I could be able to discover a lot of asteroids. However, I never regretted this. Even though I am just barely getting enough sleep back then. I wouldn't trade this journey to sleep. I really do hope that in the future, I could have the opportunity to participate in this annual asteroid search campaign again. 
                                           Certificate of Recognition from the ISAC to me 

Sample Processed Photos : 





                                          With my team leader Arvin Tan

Preliminary Discoveries 




For my IB CAS Requirements: 
The IB Learning Outcomes that I have achieved after I am finished with this campaign are LO1, LO2, LO3, LO4, LO5, and LO6. Yes, I know that I have been studying astronomy for quite some time now, but I always know that when it comes to observational astronomy, I'm really having a hard time studying this branch of astronomy. Because of this, I decided to participate in this asteroid search campaign because I know and I believe that the best way to learn science is when I would be able to apply the principles that I have learned in the books in real life. (LO3). After I have participated in this campaign, my knowledge in observational astronomy became broader. I was able to know and look for asteroids in space first hand. I was also able to identify a few stars already. (LO1 and LO2). Not only is this the problem that I have encountered on this journey. From the beginning of this campaign, I never really learned how to use the Astrometrica software. It took me almost a week of hard work just for me to get the hang of how to use the software accurately. (LO2). It's really hard learning Astrometrica. A day really wouldn't suffice for me nor for anybody to be able to grasp and master the arts and crafts of learning it. Because of this, I worked so hard under the scrutiny of my team leader Sir Arvin to master it. It took me almost a week before I was able to master it all completely. I persevered all throughout this journey, and even though I have a hard time knowing Astrometrica, this never hinder me from completing this journey. (LO4 and LO5) Lastly, by participating in this global campaign, I was able to show global engagement because I am working with various international groups and personalities such as the International Asteroid Search Campaign and Dr. Miller. (LO6)

After participating in this campaign, I have learned a lot of new things such as how to identify an asteroid in space (knowledgeable). My critical reasoning also increased significantly since I should be able to discern if the asteroid that I am looking at is really an asteroid or just a free-floating body in space (Thinker). Likewise, I was able to enhance my communication skills when I was given the chance to communicate directly with our team leader and to my teammates to discuss the data that we had (communicators). I know that everything that I am doing and all of the preliminary discoveries that I was able to achieve was all based on my efforts and that, I didn't cheat my way to the top (Principled). During this month-long campaign, I am also participating in various international competitions and I have a heavy workload from my International Baccalaureate lessons. However, I was still able to manage to participate in this campaign (Balanced). Lastly, I know from the start when I signed up for this campaign that there is no backing out and that the workload in this campaign is heavy. However, I chose to participate still in this campaign despite the fact that I know that there will be no assurance that I would have enough time for me to balance everything in my head, considering the fact that 1 month is such a long period of time. (Risk- Taker) 


No comments:

Post a Comment