Thursday, March 9, 2017

Aspiring Astronaut Dustin Mullings from America!

Read his wonderful story below:

My name is Dustin.  I'm not sure if this qualifies or even close but I am currently a physics associates major on a transfer program that will take me Florida Institute of Technology where I plan to major in Astrophysics, Astronomy, and Astrobiology. I am a bit of a late bloomer when it comes to school and finally found my passion for Astronomy and the space industry in general. I would always obsessively watch the science channel, NAT Geo, or anything that covered the cosmos or space related materials. I realized I loved astronomy, the cosmos, and science in general. So, early 2016 I put in for a pell grant, and have been in school full time ever since. 

I've felt fortunate and grateful to be able to go back to school. I do not intend to squander my opportunities. I come from a not so ideal background. There was a lot of addiction in my background and a lot of overcoming trials. I don't know why I felt compelled to reply to this but I thought that maybe there are other people out there that hit their mid 30's without direction, and decided to pursue a career in S.T.E.M., decided that they were good enough to contribute to science, and live an amazing and productive life. I will be over 40 years old by the time I finish school.  I may end up at an observatory, a lab, or Mars if Elon Musk has his way. Wherever I end up working I intend to apply for Astronaut school. If I get in, great, if not, that's great too, because I'll be doing something that I love. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment