Sunday, March 27, 2016

Astronaut Sahda from UAE

At a very young age around my 7th year of standing on this planet, I dreamt of travelling through the stars. Right now I live in the United Arab Emirates, where 6 years ago when I was a third grader during a science class on the solar system, I happened upon a picture of the Milky Way and at that moment our teacher was explaining about living in space. After the class I went through what had been taught that day and I wanted to be a part of NASA’s space program, so I talked to people around me and they simply had a look which meant, you will never get to be one but my dad supported me. He bought me encyclopedias and many other books, one of my early favorite was DK’s space encyclopedia, which gave me the basic knowledge of space travel. On my 11th birthday, I was surprised with a Celestron telescope at this time most of the people around me understood, that this was my dream because they noticed that, I kept working on it all day. 2014 was the year all my hard work started to pay off, During the test launch of Orion space craft the announcer said some words that were really emotional and inspiring he said something like, “Go delta. Go Orion. This is the dawn of Orion, the dawn of America’s new age of space travel” the following year I joined twitter as an aspiring astronaut and got to know many kids who had the same dream and I started to get noticed. The first person I met was Mackenzie as @JrAstronaut who supported me and inspired me. Then I met Astronaut Abby as a friend who always stood by my side, she is a reason where I am today. She continues to inspire me every day and a few months after that I got to know UAE’s gonna send a probe to Mars and that is when I knew UAE had a space agency, then I got a message from MR. Ibrahim Al Qasim, the deputy project manager of the Emirates Mars Mission and the project manager of the Nayif-1 cube sat mission, asking me to visit the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Center (MBRSC). I was really excited. Then the next year they had a space event called Mission: Space at downtown Dubai. There I met the Mars Mission project manager MR. Omran Sharaf and a few of the other people who work at MBRSC, their words were inspiring, they gave me a push like never before. Then came up an opportunity to be a part of the newly launched non-profit, called The Mars Generation, by Astronaut Abby. I joined it as an ambassador and then I was given a chance at my school to talk about the need for space travel and it went well except my voice. Then I got recognized at my school as an astronaut in training and after the speech kids came up to me, even my seniors and they were really glad in hearing my story. I knew that every opportunity I get is because of someone was there to inspire me and give me a push. MR. Omran showed me that and then with the help of Astronaut Abby and our principal I formed the Scholars Astro Club, at our school where my dreams all began. All the credit of my achievements inside the school goes to my principal who is a true supporter and the one who provides me with many opportunities that is really amazing. Then I got to visit the Sharjah center for astronomy and space sciences at Sharjah, UAE, where I met an astronomer named Ahmed whose words inspired me too. He told “so I’m an astronomer and you are an astronaut. Hoping to see you up there”. I got a message from my friend Tanya who lives in India about starting an internet community of aspiring astronauts I agreed and she started it out with just five members including me, it is now running with over 50 members we share a very different social background. Another great moment was when I got to meet Astronaut Chris Hadfield who really helped me along my way to success, by providing me and the other aspiring astronaut in the world with videos of living in zero G, that really helped. I met him after his talk in Dubai about his journey. The most inspiring part was when he gave me his watch and the people around were like “wow”(I gave it back). He then signed a headshot for me and he wished me luck on my path to be an astronaut. At the same event I got to meet MR. Ibrahim along with MR. Saeed and MR. Saud (whom I already met before). They work for MBRSC.  I enjoyed talking to them. That was the most recent event in my journey. And I hope there is more to come! I believe in going to Mars and I wish to be among the first ones to get there. Remember that it is always you who have to choose your dream. There is always something that interests you and you have to work towards it, inspiring people along the way. Let us start as students and end up serving the human race.


Twitter: @2003sahda

No comments:

Post a Comment