Wednesday, February 7, 2018

2018 Philippine Telescope Hour

     The Philippine Telescope Hour is an annual collaborative public engagement program that encourages cooperation and unity. For at least one hour members of the astronomy community are invited to set up their telescopes in their respective locations to give people a chance to appreciate the night sky. The Philippine Telescope Hour is held at the start of the year in promotion of the National Astronomy Week which happens every third week of February. 

     The Judenite's Astronomical Organization (an organization that I founded), together with the Manila Street Astronomers, and the Bedan Society of Young Astronomers celebrated the 2018 Philippine Telescope Hour on February 2, 2018, from 8 pm to 9 pm, in front of Centro Escolar University and San Beda University in Mendiola Street. 

     There were more than 100 participants who attended this event, and they were able to view the moon, the star Sirius, and many other more astronomical objects through a telescope. 

     In line with this, I on behalf of the Judenite's Astronomical Organization would like to express my gratitude to everyone who participated in our event. That night has been a memorable night for me.


Pictures


My mentor Mr. Norman Marigza teaching me how to use a telescope





Together with my internal vice-president Janina Uygongco and external vice-president Geanine Balolong






Some preparations are done before the event






















Participants for our event


Other free telescope viewings for the 2018 Philippine Telescope Hour, hosted by other astronomical organizations here in the Philippines


Certificate of appreciation from the Manila Street Astronomers to the Judenite's Astronomical Organization 

***For my IB CAS requirements:

     As compared to the other astronomy-related activities that I had planned and initiated, I can confidently say that this activity is the least stressful one. Even though this is the least stressful activity that I had organized, I also encountered a lot of problems, most especially the paperwork because our school is demanding for a lot of signatories which I have to accomplish for an event to push through. In addition, waivers have to be distributed to my members because they are all minors. However, despite these challenges, my dedication and hard work allowed me to ignore all of these hardships and push through with this event (LO2, LO3, and LO4).

     I cannot really say that I am good in astronomy because this is subjective. However, I can confidently say that I love astronomy because I just know. However, I know that I am not good with manipulating telescopes. Yes, I know how to assemble basic parts of a telescope, but this doesn't automatically equate that I can just produce stunning images of our universe using a telescope. All of the things that I know are just basic. Because of this, this activity helped me to boost my knowledge in handling a telescope because I served as an usher/Marshall in this event for the telescope (LO1, and knowledgeable). I planned this event together with the Manila Street Astronomers and Bedan Society of Young Astronomers. Even though we all had different identities, but due to our friendships we are always doing collaborations (communicator, and LO5). Even though technically, this is my last CAS project in line, this doesn't mean that I don't have to work on my other things such as EE and IAs. Needless to say, I planned this event while I am under tons of academic pressure (balanced). 

     I am very happy up to this day that I am given this opportunity to organize this event. I wouldn't deny that organizing events can really take up my time for studying but still, it is when I'm organizing these events for the public that I am most alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment